NumFOCUS is seeking to hire a full-time Projects Director to develop and run a sustainability incubator program for NumFOCUS fiscally sponsored open source projects. This is the first program of its kind, with opportunity for enormous impact on the open source ecosystem. The learnings from this program will be public, meaning it has the potential to change how all open source projects are managed.
A substantial amount of remote work and travel will be part of the job. The position will be based in Austin, although other US locations will be considered. NumFOCUS offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
- Organize a ‘business bootcamp’ workshop, coach project leads and lead an Advisory Board for these business development efforts
- Develop business and financial plans, improve communication, build industry relationships, and broadly develop strategies for fostering these relationships.
- Lead efforts to identify skills and perspectives that Open Source Project leads need to establish sustainability models and seek opportunities for funding
- Using materials from workshops and other resources, develop and disseminate an Open Source Nurturing and Actionable Practices Kit (OSNAP Kit) to provide guidance to open source projects outside of NumFOCUS
- Establish assessment strategies to measure impact and help NumFOCUS open-source projects develop industry relationships
As this role provides a business, operations and marketing perspective to Open Source project leads, the candidate should have:
- Preferred: 4 years experience in business development, operations and/or marketing
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Teaching experience of some capacity, e.g. teaching at universities or creating and running workshops
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a broad range of people from technical leads to industry leaders
- Experience working with open communities, e.g. open source software, hardware or makers,
- A rich network of experts in business and technology to draw ideas and collaboration from.
Review of applications will begin October 10th, 2016, and the position will remain open until filled.