Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing (DISC)
DISC Program Mission
NumFOCUS recognizes that the open source data science community is currently highly homogenous. We believe that diverse contributors and community members produce better science and better projects. NumFOCUS strives to help create a more diverse community through initiatives and programming devoted to increasing participation by and inclusion of underrepresented people.
NumFOCUS Diversity Statement
NumFOCUS welcomes and encourages participation in our community by people of all backgrounds and identities. We are committed to promoting and sustaining a culture that values mutual respect, tolerance, and learning, and we work together as a community to help each other live out these values.
For a more detailed explication of NumFOCUS’s position on diversity in the community, see the Diversity Appendix.
The DISC program is funded in part by a generous grant from the Moore Foundation.
The NumFOCUS DISC Program is led by Gina Helfrich, Program Manager for Diversity & Inclusion, and advised by the DISC Committee.
2017-2018 DISC Committee Members:
- Alex Companioni (Data Scientist, iHeartRadio)
- Gina Helfrich (NumFOCUS Communications Director; DISC Program Manager) — DISC Committee Chair
- Julie Hollek (Data Scientist, Twitter; Diversity Committee Chair, SciPy)
- Jennifer Klay (Professor of Physics, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; NumFOCUS Board of Directors)
- Julia Meinwald (Open Source Coordinator, Two Sigma Investments)
- Erica Moszkowski (Doctoral Student in Business Economics, Harvard Business School)
- Manuel Rivas (Assistant Professor of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford)
- Reshama Shaikh (Data Scientist; Organizer for NYC Women in Machine Learning & Data Science)
My career is built on top of NumFOCUS-sponsored projects.
Patrick Harrison, Supporting Member