Grants & Sponsored Events
Apply for a Grant
NumFOCUS awards small grants for project sprints, support of project infrastructure, project development time and diversity initiatives. Requests should directly impact a sponsored or affiliated project or the NumFOCUS community as a whole.
NumFOCUS does not fund individual scholarships for travel or registration to attend conferences or workshops, unless it is for project contributors to make a significant contribution to a sponsored or affiliated project. We do fund event scholarships through sponsorships (see below) administered by the event organizing committee. Individuals should contact these committees for scholarship opportunities.
All grant recipients are required to submit a report evaluating the project and an accounting of how funds were used. If you have any questions, please email .
Indirect Cost Policy
Indirect Cost Rate = Budgeted Indirect costs/Budgeted Total Direct Costs
The rates provided below are the maximum rates allowed under NumFOCUS’s policy. A grantee with an actual indirect cost rate lower than the maximum rate provided above should not increase the funding request to the maximum allowed. The intent is to sufficiently fund actual costs, not to generate financial surpluses for grantees.
- 0% for government agencies
- 10% for universities
- 15% for NGOs, for-profits, other entities
Prior Recipients of NumFOCUS Grant Support
NumFOCUS has previously provided grants and in-kind donations to the following:
- Buildbot sponsored for SciPy
- Purchased hosted Mac Mini for Astropy and SciPy
- Funded PyPy-in-a-box
- Sponsored a Scikit-learn Sprint ($600)
- Provided $800 of funding for John Hunter Plotting Contest winners
- Funded $450 in scientific python stack promotional materials for NeuroDebian booth
- SciPy 2013 Sponsorship
- SciPy 2014 and 2015 Diversity Scholarships
- Promotional materials for Scikit-image and Matplotlib
- Astropy Workshop scholarship funds
Scholarship Funds for Scientific Computing Events
Please note: NumFOCUS does not provide direct sponsorship of events.
NumFOCUS provides a limited amount of scholarship funds for events that directly relate to our mission. These scholarship funds will only be granted to the event organizers for distribution, not to individuals wishing to attend events. These funds should be allocated for scholarships and the event must meet the following criteria:
- NumFOCUS logo placement on website and on any promotional material (if applicable)
- Code of Conduct
- Clear and transparent selection process for scholarships published on the website
- Luncheon or networking event for scholarship grantees
- Commitment to a diverse organizing committee and speaker pool
Please send scholarship fund requests to .
My career is built on top of NumFOCUS-sponsored projects.
Patrick Harrison, Supporting Member